DEAN, COLLEGE OF EDUCATION, SCIENCES AND MATHEMATICS
Viterbo University is seeking a Dean of the newly created College of Education, Sciences and Mathematics. The new Dean, who will oversee the College of Education, Sciences and Mathematics, must be committed to providing a strong educational experience for the next generation of scientists and educators.
Viterbo University, a Roman Catholic liberal arts university located in La Crosse, WI was founded by the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration in 1890. Viterbo remains committed to its Catholic Franciscan values and its mission to prepare students for faithful service and ethical leadership. Students can expect to be excited and challenged. The University has a 13:1 student-to-faculty ratio, state-of-the-art facilities, and a faculty that cares deeply about the success of each and every student.
Responsibilities of the new Dean Include:
- Represent, advocate, and mediate for the College’s faculty, students, and academic programs.
- Ensure excellent professional standards of practice and adherence to the mission and conceptual frameworks in order to produce excellent K-12 educators and world class mathematicians and scientists.
- Participate actively in the Dean’s Council and the Graduate Council and implement agreed upon decisions in the College.
- Provide leadership in the management of college budgets, personnel and resources.
- Collaborate with faculty and administrators in various disciplines to advance undergraduate and graduate programs and enhance recruitment and retention efforts.
- Oversee recruitment for the college, hiring and evaluation of faculty and staff within the School of Education, Sciences and Mathematics.
- Maintain a seamless system of course-, program-, and College -level assessment, using discipline-appropriate student learning outcomes, and using the results of that assessment process for the improvement of programs in the College.
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of higher education accreditation issues and procedures.
- Oversee program accreditation requirements to maintain state approval from the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) and the Iowa State Board of Education and national approval from the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education.
- Oversee the rigorous chemistry education and requirement for American Chemical Society accreditation that gives students intellectual, experimental, and communication skills to become effective scientific professionals.
- Oversee yearly state and federal reporting requirements including reports to DPI, CAPE, and the US Department of Education (Title II).
- Doctorate from a regionally accredited University
- A minimum of five years full-time teaching and five years of higher education administrative experience at the level of department chair or above.
- Academic credentials commensurate with the rank of full professor.
- A proven record of leadership in strategic planning, academic program review, assessing student learning outcomes, program or regional accreditation and entrepreneurship in program development.
- Familiarity with emerging technologies and distance education.
- A strong commitment to the Catholic Franciscan values and mission of the University.
Viterbo University is being assisted by the firm: Hyatt - Fennell. Nominations and application materials should be submitted to: Cheryl Hyatt at Viterbo@hyatt-fennell.com. Applications will include a focused letter of interest, a current résumé, and complete contact information for five professional references. The Search Committee will begin review of applications following the April 25, 2014 deadline. All applications and nominations will be considered highly confidential.
Viterbo University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages nominations and candidacy of historically underrepresented groups.